October 14, 2008

Inter-Reformers

There are times when I am not too unhappy about my lack of knowledge of languages like Lingala, Swahili, Twi or Yoruba. Even with the very few African languages that I do understand a tiny bit I get irritated by the over-the-top religiousness of some lyrics.

I have a feeling this might be the case as well with the lyrics of Ebenezer Obey.
I have read somewhere that he used to be a sinner. Drinking, loose morals and a dose of debauchery, I suppose.
Until religion came into his life.

Maybe it's those traces of a life of vice that attract me to his earlier work. Here's a wonderful cassette from 1975 by Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey and his Inter-Reformers* Band.

It comes with a warning: do not play it while driving a car on a motorway with a speed limit!!

*known before (in those drinking days) as the International Brothers Band

4 comments:

aduna said...

Yeah! What a great tape!
Thanks a lot.

oro said...

Thank you again for this wonderful share.

WrldServ said...

More from Nigeria coming up tomorrow....

avocado kid said...

right on with the Obey!