In this first part the focus is on Jonah Sithole, the man who 'invented' the mbira style guitar playing.
Here are excerpts of an interview with Jonah, recorded March 16, 1996 in Amsterdam. Jonah passed away in Zimbabwe a year later. The other musician present is the -unfortunately also late- Alan Mwale. Between the excerpts are 'related' tracks.
- about his youth (1954 - 1971)
- Lipopo Jazz, Great Sounds and other bands (1971-1975)
- meeting Thomas / the origin of the mbira guitar (1975-1977)
- Sabuku (first single, 1977)
- about Sabuku
- about the mbira guitar style
- Kuyaura (1979)
- bonus track: Hwahwa (1985)
By the way: here you can find another version of "Moyo Wangu", with an explanation by Mukanya himself.
And here is an interview by Banning Eyre with Jonah Sithole.
PS: The links have been renewed on August 18, 2012.