October 16, 2008

Bala

To really enjoy the full effect of the bala you have to go to West Africa. Preferably on a warm, humid night, with the sound of cicadas filling the background. When the bala player (or balafo) really gets going the gourds will start to hum - and the spirits will awake.

As I said, you'll have to go there yourself to experience this. Don't take my word.

I hate to disappoint you, but this cassette doesn't produce the same effect. But if anyone can get close it's Molobali Keita*. He's from the Sikasso region of Mali, and one of those artists that are at risk of remaining anonymous in the West (like Karamoko Keita). He has produced a string of cassettes (neatly numbered), and I can recommend any of those, or all if you can find them (and if you do, let me know!).

There are a few wonderful clips (here and here) on YouTube, if you want to see the master at work.

And here is the fourth volume of the series.


*or Molobaly

3 comments:

aduna said...

Volume is on...
My eyes closed...
Memories take me...

Thanks a lot.

psb said...

thank you!

love the balafon!

David said...

Lovely: for some reason the drums seemed more insistent on this vol, but hey that's only a minor drawback, this is beautiful stuff. THank you!