December 21, 2008

Juju organ

In order to stay ahead of the competition the stars of juju music have always tried to introduce 'novelties' into their music. I don't mean I.K. Dairo's accordion, because the accordion was his original instrument. I am referring to the steel or hawaiian guitar which, started as a novelty, at one point even threatened to dominate the music style.

A more innocuous form of novelty can be found on this album from 1978 by Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey and his Inter-Reformers Band. Luckily the organ is limited to the A-side of the lp. Don't get me wrong: it's great, but two sides would be too much of a good thing...

The album cover seems to portray Obey as the reformed religious man he would like to be. A shepherd and his flock.

WAPS 418

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I love the organ. I could listen to juju organ for days. Thanks for all the great information and wonderful music. A true service to humanity.

avocado kid said...

as a huge fan of both organ and african music, i'm looking forward to this one!