March 30, 2009

Cañonazo

One doesn't have to try very hard to find amazing amounts of latin music on the internet. The majority of this is salsa. And I mean this in the narrow sense of the word as it is accurately described here. Personally I am inclined to prefer the music of pre-salsa times, and for this I refer you gladly to the listentoyourears blog (which in my opinion is on a level of its own*).

Strangely the salsa artists I like always turn out to have Cuban origins. Apparently the son & rumba roots are difficult to lose. This is the case with both Papaito and Monguito, who have unfortunately both passed away (in 2000 and 2006). They both feature on this classic collection from the SAR label with two songs. The remaining tracks are by another artist with Cuban roots, SAR-(co)founder Roberto Torres, and by Conjunto Crema (no Cubans there, I think).

Cañonazo seems a bit exaggerated, but it's certainly an enjoyable collection.

SAR 1041 (new link November 10, 2012)

*despite the use of rapidshare....

3 comments:

p said...

use this website for rapidshare!!! (en dot savefrom dot net)

WrldServ said...

I'm afraid I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Do you mean I should be using Rapidshare? I am not a fan of RS (and that's an understatement).

WrldServ said...

From the present-day (November 2012) point of view I would like to add that there are far worse services than Rapidshare.