February 05, 2010

Underpimped

I have been listening a lot to "Sound Time", a CD containing re-mastered masterpieces by the - unfortunately late - consistent highlife king, Chief Stephen Osita Osadebe. And although the collection is recommendable and very enjoyable when travelling to work, I can't help feeling it is also a bit 'overpimped'.

So I have rummaged about in my archives, and have dusted off some more of the (many) lp's I bought at Stern's when they were still a little corner shop in Whitfield Street, and were desperate to get rid of the flood of Osadebe albums clogging their stocks. I was glad to come to the rescue at the time, and actually even regret not buying more.

Here is one from 1982, in an authentic, underpimped state. "Onye Ije Anatago" is one the many albums with just two tracks. Tracks that gradually evolve. A musical voyage with Osadebe as our tour guide, drawing our attention to the sights. My favourite part of this album is the break after 11 minutes on side B, - but not because of the drums, but rather for the almost obvious - but complete - change of rhythm.

There is more to come....

POLP 074

11 comments:

oro said...

thank you, thank you again for this post; i am totally in love of Osadebe's music.

icastico said...

This one is great. It and 34 others are available on Rhapsody for those who use the service...cost to buy $1.99US if you don't use the service.

brooos said...

I have the CD you write about as being "overpimped." I laughed at the word and suspect you're referring to the wah-wah guitar stuff? Anyhow, I love everything I've heard out of him, but discovered him via that disc. Glad to hear more. Thanks again for putting up all this stuff, of which I've downloaded liberally.

Jim said...

Thank you, Osadebe is brilliant and this album sounds great. Looking forward to the rest!

WrldServ said...

@brooos: I didn't mean this in a negative way. My starting point, Osadebe-wise, were the lp's. And compared to those the CD sounds just a bit too much.

@icastico: Rhapsody is not available in the Netherlands (and many other countries), - not even at a price.

There is more Osadebe to come, and this time in the near future (next week).

icastico said...

WS,
Too bad...I am sure a lot of your readers have access, however. They actually do a decent job with African & Arabic music.

John B. said...

Thanks for posting this one. This album is actually in honor of Odemegwu Ojukwu, former leader of Biafra (That's him & his wife on the cover). In 1982 he was pardoned by President Shehu Shagari & allowed to return to NIgeria. Osadebe, like most Igbo musicians, recorded a tribute to him at the time.

Anonymous said...

Wrldserv,
Thank you for this great LP which I have completely forgotten about. As John B reminded us, this is a great and deserving tribute the greatest son of the Iboland - Chief Odumegwu Ojukwu. It is Osadebe at his best! I look forward to seeing more of his rare albums.

Froguette Mi Note said...

Any chance you might re-up this one? The RS link is dead.

FMN

WrldServ said...

@Froguette Mi Note: "RS link"??
I have tested the (Adrive) link again, and there is nothing wrong with it.
If there is still a problem, mail me through the mail address in my profile.

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for sharing this sweet, sweet music. Grin-inducing stuff...
Best to you