February 08, 2010

More Mwanga

This is a first on this blog: I am going to repeat an earlier posting!
It's really not as bad as it sounds; I am just repeating two EP's by Paul Mwanga I posted earlier, in order to present them in a broader setting. So instead of two EP's this time I am posting five extended play records by this legend of Congolese music.

The three extra EP's feature Mwanga with his Affeinta Jazz, so in total there are now sixteen tracks with Affeinta Jazz and four with Jazz Venus. Musicians of the latter band, reportedly founded by Mwanga, also played in Jazz Mango, which in the early 1960s acted as a backing band to Leon Bukasa.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, my favourite tracks by Mwanga are the ones with kikongo rhythms: "Mambu Ku Ntuala", "Butuka Ku Kongo", "Kongo Mpaka Diena", "Ngudi Wabebeas Mwana", "Mambu Ngola Mena", "Putulukesu Zengele Ndombe", "Tuwizana" and "Ma Bulu Mankatu Lutima". I can't get enough of these songs, which to me are shining examples of the blending of traditional rhythms into modern music.

Ngoma Super 45 6 / 29/ 30 / 66 / 1004 (in one rar-file)

7 comments:

jonah said...

thank you so much!

Jonah said...

also -- someone once copied me another paul mwanga/jazz venus EP, but without identifying the song titles. i've uploaded these five tracks as a RAR file. if you (or anyone) could identify the tracks, i would be extremely grateful.

here are the links to the uploaded EP:
http://rapidshare.com/files/348494350/Paul_Mwanga_unknown_tracks.rar.html
http://www.mediafire.com/?qqq4mznogta

WrldServ said...

@Jonah: The first track is clearly by Jazz Venus. I think this is "Merengue boluwe" by Windy Diablotin, Trio Bemol & orch. Jazz Venus (on Ngoma Super 45 - 67).

The second and third track are by Depiano and orch. La Palma. The title of the second is "Amigo" (which is on Ngoma Super 45 - 68), and the third is "Yo Keba Na Ngai" (on Ngoma Super 45 - 69).

Of the last two tracks I don't know the artist.

I have four of these tracks (# 2 - 5), bur the last two are uncredited on the cassette....

I'll be posting more Ngoma Super 45 later.

Thanks a lot for your contribution!!!!!

jonah said...

wow, thank you! the tracks _did_ sound like they were by different bands and singers...

if you ever get a lead on the other two mystery tracks, please let us know.

thanks again for your wonderful blog!

reservatory said...

Thanks for these treasures! Does anyone happen to have Jonah's extra EP post? Both links are long dead... Thanks again!

reservatory said...

THANKS for the extras!

LeFranck said...

Quote:
Jonah said...

also -- someone once copied me another paul mwanga/jazz venus EP, but without identifying the song titles. i've uploaded these five tracks as a RAR file. if you (or anyone) could identify the tracks, i would be extremely grateful.

here are the links to the uploaded EP:
http://rapidshare.com/files/348494350/Paul_Mwanga_unknown_tracks.rar.html
http://www.mediafire.com/?qqq4mznogta
----------------------

Dear Jonah

The links you provided is no longer in use.
Can you or some one else help me to get this vinyl rip?
I will be very happy if so.

LeFranck