June 25, 2009

Trio fédéral

A few days ago I heard that Stern's are planning another release in their Syliphone series. And -three cheers for Stern's- it will be a double cd of the Horoya Band. That's certainly good news.

In the mean time, and partly as a foretaste of this compilation, here is an album on the Syliphone label with three tracks by the Horoya Band, three by Kebendo Jazz and four (!) by Niandan Jazz. The lp was released, according to the sleeve notes to highlight three of the thirty federal orchestras, which were rising to a level close to that of the five national orchestras. But more remarkably the notes state that these orchestras next (the lp is from 1971) will produce a 'grand volume-identité' to present their musical personality. The only orchestra to in fact produce an entire album after this collection was the Horoya Band, and neither Kebendo Jazz nor Niandan Jazz ever released an lp on the Syliphone label!

If you have read my earlier posts about the Kebendo Jazz you won't be surprised when I tell you the Kebendo tracks are my favourites. "Soumba" is even in the top-ten of favourites of the Syliphone label. Apparently this is a shortened version of a track recorded slightly earlier by Kebendo Jazz (which I pray* will one day be released on CD in its full glory). Hearing the three Kebendo tracks I am again (see this post) left wondering what they did wrong? It can't have been the subjects of their songs; there is enough Sékou Touré, PDG and RDA in them to satisfy even the most orthodox of party members.....

The same, but to a slighty lesser degree, goes for Niandan Jazz. They featured on four compilations (SLP 19, 25 -i.e. this one-, 42 and 50), but never had their own lp. I can't seen why. Their orchestration is simply great, the singing perhaps not top-notch, but still better than others. "Fassouloukou" can compete with any of the songs on the first lp of Super Boiro Band (to name just one of the national orchestras). So where did they screw up?

I am sure you will like this album. I advise you to study the notes with the individual songs. To me they are one of the many attractions of the Syliphone label. But the main attraction remains, of course, that wonderful, incomparable and authentic Syliphone sound!

Syliphone SLP 25

* and don't ask me to whom...

7 comments:

paska said...

This is one the few syliphone titles I also happen to have. So great! Im happy to find these from net. Its so good development of sharing culture in our dark time. Thanks!!! Still I have humble hope for some more 22 Band slp`s some beautifull day. Cheers!

WrldServ said...

I'll see what I can do. SLP 51, if I remember correctly. Any others?

aduna said...

Also SLP 67 & SLP 68 (from 1980);
Best.

Anonymous said...

Thank you again...Excellent music,Syliphone.....too rare for us here in Greece...
Thank you for this treasure.
Kostas from Greece

taraletti said...

thanks!

Radio Africa said...

When I was in Guinea in 2008 I wanted to find out more as to why Kebendo Jazz were never made into a National Orchestra, as they won the Orchestre Moderne section in the Quinzaines Artistiques more times than Bembeya Jazz and the Horoya Band. The answer appears to be that as Bembeya were already nationalised and came from the same region - which then was called Guinee Forestiere - it was felt that having 2 National Orchestras from the same region was too biased. Such a shame. One of my favourite groups, too.

Andrew said...

Yeah, teaching the populous to read and write to a harmonious tune. Irresistable message!

Haha, Sylliphone liner notes are the best! Thanks again for this one.