June 24, 2009

Misfortune

Some artists just seems to be born for an unfair share of bad luck. Although I have no insight into his personal situation with regards to loves and winning the lottery, Tanzanian singer Issa Juma seems to have fallen in this category. And I am speaking of the past, because this voice among voices, this Star among East-African stars has died almost two decades ago. He hadn't been too fortunate before that, having been partially paralyzed after a stroke. This happened after he had stopped performing and withdrew from music after spending six months in jail for working without a permit. And this was just one in series of mishaps.

Going by this record from 1984 I am sharing with you in this post, I get the impression Issa himself was -consciously or subconsciously- aware of his destiny. Accompanied by Waanyika, one of the many aliases of a band that had split off from Les Wanyika (see the discography by John B.), his singing is brilliant, - but definitely filled with a deeply sensed sadness. The guitars certainly contribute to confirm this impression. In the track "Utalia Na Nani" sorrow even surfaces and crying is heard....

This said, I hasten to add that this is one of my favourite East African records in the swahili rumba genre, with four tracks of outstanding quality.

And a strange thing about this record: after listening to it I always feel a lot happier. It is like the misfortune of Issa Juma acts a counterbalance to any negative emotions I might have had.......

Nyika LP-02 OR: NYIKA LP-02

14 comments:

John B. said...

Wow, thanks for this! "Ateka" was the song that made me fall in love with East African music.

Anonymous said...

Kama kawaida neno moja tu : shukrani.

Kweli tutalia ukitupatia zaidi za aina hii...

Nikiruhusiwa : lini 'mokolo nakokufa' ya Mangwana?

Adoyo PA said...

Can you post these seemingly good songs in either "mediafire" or "Rapidshare"?. I am totally unable to download all your postings on "ADrive.com". Your are doing such a wonderful job!
Pius A. Adoyo, Nairobi. Kenya

jonesy said...

Adoyo-
Install SkipScreen for firefox - it will make all your downloading dreams come true. rapidshare is a) neither rapid and b) comes with terrible limits on hourly downloads. adrive is much better in this regard.

Adoyo PA said...

Yes it works so well for Rapidshare and Mediafire. BUT NOT AT ALL FOR ADrive.com. Any additional help?

WrldServ said...

I've added a link to Mediafire....

Adoyo PA said...

Thanks, you've made my day! I 've left it downloading and prety fast, and dashed home as it is getting late in the evening. However, a number of nice songs that you posted earlier on ADrive.com need similar treatments.

Would you do the same if i could single them out?
Adoyo PA

WrldServ said...

@Adoyo PA: Send me an email via the mail address in my profile and I'll see what I can do.

Defula said...

Adoyo , rejoice that broadband is coming to Nairobi . You'll never have to watch anything download ever again.
To Stefan, you are the best.

aduna said...

Utalia Na Nani... is so good!!!

Many, Many thanks...

kabuga said...

This is pure gold! Pls give more of swahili rumba.

Jeff BBz said...

This is incredible! Totally perfect. Thanks! Also thanks for puting mediafire links on you recent uploads. keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

He was jailed for working without a permit? Which country has this law for musicians? What is the rationale behind this law?

Richie Roads said...

sweet, I'm glad I peeped this one on a whim. love those bass grooves that sound like they're coming from under water!