June 13, 2015

Balance

Another song that has been haunting me for the last few weeks months. I have lost track of where and when and from whom I have copied this video, but it seems to me that it must have been a private recording. This has some negatives, notably the flaws in the sound (after 3'48), but in all the positives have the upperhand.
This song, "Kabambare" composed by singer Papy Tex and performed by him with Pépé Kallé and Empire Bakuba was released in 1985 on the album of the same title. But to be honest the album version can only be described as 'anemic' in comparison to the superb full-blooded version in this video. And this is mainly due to the technical imperfection of this recording, and in particular the balance between vocals and supporting instruments.

I add that in general I am not a fan of Empire Bakuba, let alone an expert on the group. But this video is official and irrefutable proof of the vocal talents of Papy Tex, Dilu Dilumona and Pépé Kallé, both as individual vocalists and as a harmonic trio.
It explains too why Franco was desperate to have a Pépé Kallé voice in his orchestra (see this post)...


EDIT September 12, 2015: I have mixed up the two songs of this video. The song you find above is "La Terre Sainte", and the one I have added below is "Kabambare". This song too demonstrates the vocal talent of the singers of Empire Bakuba, and adds to my point that these live versions are more interesting than the studio version.
"La Terre Sainte" (the holy land) is composed by a certain Dadou; and this is probably not the Dadou of the songs with this title.

5 comments:

jan duinkerken said...

world service is the best! thank you.

FrancoPepeKalle said...

Very interesting post. Pepe Kalle is more into the Soukous age. I have longed said if you like Soukous music more, Pepe Kalle is your guy.

But it is true. Franco was so addicted to Pepe Kalle. Trust me, as much I enjoy Pepe Kalle, there were better singers. But in Franco's ears, he only cared for Pepe Kalle. I guess Pepe Kalle's confidence and natural ability touched Franco so much.

Anonymous said...

This is recorded in Brussels. I have been in that nightclub twice or trice in 1986-87 but I can't remember the name. It was the place to be for the Congolese live music after Salle de la Madeleine. Salle de la Madeleine I frequented often during those days to see the top band of the day. Saw Zaiko Langa Langa several times there as they were my favourite Congolese Band,but also La Nouvelle Génération,Langa Langa Stars etc. Great times Thanks for this fine piece of history as it brings back nice memories.

Mike said...

Hello...I just discovered this blog and I can say I truly feel as if I have hit the mother lode of African music. I've always felt there was tons of stuff there to discover but have had no idea about how to begin until today. As Jan said above, world service is the best. Thanks from the USA!

WrldServ said...

@Mike: Thanks!
Please help me by informing about any broken links. I try and keep all the links intact, but it is possible that some dead links have gone unnoticed...