August 07, 2010

Morogoro marvels

If you ask me, this is an album which should be put on the World Heritage List. All human beings should at least be made aware of the existence of this music by the immortal Mbaraka Mwinshehe and the Morogoro Jazz.

This is certainly one of my very favourite albums by Mbaraka. When it comes to Mbaraka at his Mbaraka-st, you can hardly get any better than this. From the slightly out of tune horns in the opening track "Mapenzi Ya Nitesa" to the master's pizzicato plucking in the last track "Dr. Klerruu", there is no hint of pretentiousness, no trace of conceit. I almost feel like I shouldn't be listening to it: this music wasn't made so some idiot Dutchman would listen to it. The musicians can't possibly have been thinking that they would at one point be heard by a world-wide audience.

I don't think it would be wise to write about the individual songs. I won't write about how I love the breaks in "Matusi Ya Nini?" and "Pesa No.1", or the brilliant guitar explosions in "Mitindo Yetu", the classic "Dr. Klerruu", the Franco-esque climax of "Matusi Ya Nini", the amazing.....

Words won't do justice to the extasy this music can bring. I'll leave you to listen - probably in awe - to these Morogoro marvels.....

Polydor POLP 544 or POLP 544

15 comments:

dial africa said...

Thank you for this wonderful flowing music. You didn't promise too much.
R.

Andrés said...

I love it. Thank you!

Subi Nukta said...

Thank you so much for this record. As we say in Kiswahili, Asante sana!

reservatory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
reservatory said...

A beauty! THANKS for ALL the Mbaraka Mwinshehe stuff you've posted over the past year or so!

joji said...

Kweli : shukrani tu!

Anonymous said...

East Africa's answer to Franco!

Thanks

I am STILL looking for a video clip of this great man
sincerely,
wuod k

Anonymous said...

Undoubtedly the greatest musician to come out of Tanzania. He is an artiste I greatly admired....

Rough Translations

Mapenzi yanitesa - Love is torturing me...About a jilted lover who doesn't understand why they split.

Kifo cha Karume - The death of Karume (I think Karume was the Sultan of Zanzibar)

Matusi ya nini? - What are the insults for?

Tunachogombea nini? - Well, I am not exactly sure but based on the context, a rough translation may be "What are we fighting over?"

Nisalimie Wana Zaire - Greet the Zaireans. He is asking his pal to send greetings to the Zairean musical greats of the time. He mentions Franco, Dr. Nico, Tabu Ley, Jean Bombenga, Grand Kalle, Verckys, Bholen, Dewayon, Bokelo & Nico Lokombe by name

Mitindo Yetu - Our trends/ styles...Basically about the dances of the time

Pesa No. 1- Money No. 1...It is a song that is all about a materialistic spouse.

Dr. Klerruu - A song in honour of Dr. Klerruu

Pieter said...

The plucking in Dr Kleruu is one of my favorite examples of Mbaraka's guitar wizardry: like Franco's best work...

chris meserve said...

i have to admit, i have been occasionally underwhelmed by him in the past, but this record sets me straight. what a tune Mapenzi yanitesa is! thanks!!

joe said...

@ Pieter;

I agree. The guitar takes on a very likembe-like tone from 2 minutes on. Do you think he's plucking the strings, or is he perhaps damping them with the flesh of his palm? In either case, it is a very impressive example of his mastery.

dj slow said...

I discovered this artist here and have loved everything else I've found and heard. Thanks for all your fantastic contributions.

Check out a mix (as well as several others) with the opening track on my blog:

http://slowmusicmeltdown.blogspot.com/2011/02/afrimix.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing with Mbaraka's songs with us.Shame I cant listen to all this golden songs,as ADrive is not working for me.
Please cant u send all these Ukumbusho songs through Worldservice Podcast,like u did with some of his songs on the Podcast you sendt on 15/June/2011?
I promise to contribute a lot here on Mbaraka's history as I knew him(he used to play for us teenagers in the afternoon,in the special shows called Boogies,as we could not otherwise be allowed in the evening/night shows,as we were legaly not allowed,and had to attend school the next morning anyway).
So I know what I am saying,when I observe that indeed he was a pure genius guy,who the East africans will never see his kind again,ever.
Thanks.
Mr Msomali.

WrldServ said...

@Anonymous (Mr Msomali): Please contact through the address in my profile, and I will send you the files through another channel.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much WrldServ,for your kindness and dedication to world music.
I will contact you through your adress in your profile.
Kind regards
Mr Msomali