April 27, 2009

Sory

You may have been wondering why I haven't posted anything in the last couple of days. I can assure you that lack of material is not an issue (and won't be in the foreseeable future). I have been forced to take it easy, after walking -rather stupidly- into a glass wall nearly a week ago.

I promise you I'll be posting more singles very soon, and I haven't forgotten about Franklin Boukaka or about Le Vieux Lion, but for the moment here is a very short post.

Here is an lp filled with tracks that are bound to bring smiles of recognition on the faces of those who have a reasonable amount of knowledge of the music of Guinea. It contains versions of great tracks like "Apollo" (which Sekou Bambino Diabaté turned into a hit), "Diamaraboy" (which was called "Djama ba labo", when performed by the Horoya Band) and "Moi ça m'en fou", which you will recognise as a track covered by Balla et Ses Balladins, but which according to Graeme Counsel is likely to be a track originally from Côte D'Ivoire.
I leave you to figure out why the other tracks sound familiar.

The artist of this wonderful lp is Kouyaté Sory, who featured on the second volume of "Assalam Aleikoum Africa", - and is not to be confused with Kouyaté Sory Kandia. Listening to the music this is not very likely: this Sory is no belcanto vocalist, but rather a one-man-band on the electric guitar.

By the way: note that this appears to be the first record on the Sacodis label!

Sacodis LS 1-77

13 comments:

icastico said...

Ouch!
Thanks for this. What I have heard from this Sory is great.

oro said...

Merci pour ce premier bijou de Satel. I have in my Beninese pocket the first album from Albarika store, recorded by Yedenou Adjahoui, the great traditional singer from Benin. I will post it very soon.
Oro

avocado kid said...

ooof - hope your nose is ok.

lemmycaution said...

Ai. Those glass walls can be tricky. Hope you recover soon and thanks for yet another fantastic album. Listening right now, as on so many mornings, to the genius Petit Moussa you posted last winter.

Ilovemusic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momo said...

Hey worldServer, i hope you are doing fine now!

Many many thx for this post.
Now i know where the "Apollo" by Sekouba Bambino came from !

Anonymous said...

I hope you're good now.
Best wishes!!!
Thank you for all the wonderful music!!!
Kostas from Greece.

Anonymous said...

The blog can wait,but a line in the comments would be welcome after that alert in the yesterday post.
By the way that beautiful griot may be the mother of Sekouba, Mariama Samoura?

WrldServ said...

@Ngoni: I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'alert'.
The singer is, as you can see, not credited; so I can't tell you who it is. But if you say it is Sekouba Bambino's mother, I am willing to believe you.

icastico said...

wrldserv,

I am pretty sure Ngoni is referring to your information about your accident. You alerted us that you'd been injured...Ngoni would appreciate an update on your condition.

That's my reading.

Anonymous said...

Of course for you to be retained by a glass wall is no warning, but I find disturbing.

Over the mother.., is just a guess based on the biographical data can be found in the album inserts Sinikan.

Thank you for not take another day to reply.

Olavo di Txada said...

Isn´t it time that someone sat down to write a book about the music of the Guiné´s? So many great artists, and though you guys are doing great work with the blogs, the sofa crouchers would like to have something like "Rumba on the river" or Congo colossus.for Conakry and surroundings.

Anonymous said...

This is brilliant. Thanks so much.