One of the monuments of Guinean music, Maître Kélétigui Traoré, founder and chef d'orchestre of the former national orchestra Kélétigui et ses Tambourinis, has died in Conakry on November 11 at the age of 74. He had been ill for quite a while.
He was one of the original members of the Syli Orchestre National, founded in 1959. After this orchestre had been disbanded for the first time in 1962, Kélétigui formed an orchestra which played at La Paillote. The orchestra was later renamed to Kélétigui et ses Tambourinis.
The orchestra also performed as a backing band to other artists such as Sory Kandia Kouyaté and Miriam Makeba, and has toured the world as representative of Sékou Touré's Guinea.
Here is a selection of his work.
01. Merci Safoulaye
02. El chechoza (Paillote)
03. Mone Magnin (SLP 1 - Paillote)
04. Cigarettes Allumettes (SYL 502 - Keletigui)
05. Beni Yarabi (SYL 544 - Keletigui)
06. Toubaka (SLP 15 - Keletigui)
07. Guajira Con Tumbao (SYL 519 - Keletigui)
08. Tambourinis sax parade (SYL 514 - Keletigui)
09. Presentation (SLP 3 - Paillote)
Wereld Jodel Dag - World Yodl Day (Europa)
5 hours ago